The top free methods I would recommend would consist of:
- Forum marketing: Placing your signature in posts on related forums to your site. E.g. Gardening forums for a gardening website.
- Blog commenting: Similar to forum marketing but on blogs instead.
- Guest posting: Find a blog you like, that relates to your topic, and contact the owner. Ask if you can make a post on there. Be sure to include a link back to your website.
The top paid methods I would recommend would probably be:
- Ezine/Newsletter Email ads: Ask owners of mailing lists to send an email ad out about your site. Sometimes you will need to pay.
- CPC: Try Google adwords to generate traffic. This takes a lot of knowledge and can be very risky, as with all paid methods, so be sure to do your research first.
- Fiverr: One of the least expensive methods ever. Pay $5 and you can get someone to advertise your site.
Good luck and have fun generating traffic!
AUTHOR BIO: If you want to learn how to make money online for free, be sure to check out Gina Reedy's free secret guide here: http://gina-reedy.com/gifts/